Updates to T&E Policy, effective 1/1/16
The University continues to make enhancements to the TravelND program to improve the traveler's experience while still meeting ever-increasing compliance requirements. There were two updates to the University's Travel & Expense Policy effective January 1, 2016.
New Receipt Threshold
The IRS raised its threshold for receipts to $75 several years ago. A number of our peers have raised their thresholds to either match the IRS threshold or raised them to a somewhat lesser amount depending upon the institution’s comfort level. Accordingly, the University of Notre Dame has increased its receipt requirements threshold - for expenses incurred 1/1/16 or after - as follows:
· No receipts required for transactions under $75 including meals, charged on the University travel/meeting card.
· No receipts required for transaction under $25 including meals, if paid via personal credit card or cash.
· EXCEPTION: Receipts are required for all airfare, lodging, car rentals, and transactions with alcohol, regardless of payment method.
· The only policy item changing is the need to attach a receipt. All other University policies still apply (Mobile Device Policy, Gift, Prizes and Awards Policy, Charitable Contributions Policy, etc).
· Departments can impose stricter requirements than University policy.
No Pre-trip Reimbursement for Flights
With the ability for travelers to charge flights directly to a FOAPAL through the TravelND booking options for University travel, the traveler need not seek outside booking options. If travelers do book outside of TravelND, approvers and reviewers need to verify business travel occurred and its business purpose before authorizing reimbursement. Thus, effective for flights booked 1/1/16 or after:
· Flights not charged to a FOAPAL will be reimbursed to the traveler only after the trip is complete, assuming business purpose and other documentation requirements are met.
· This change is being made for following reasons:
o Our travelers booking flights via TravelND are more easily trackable in case of domestic and international emergencies, and
o Booking thru TravelND enables approvers the ability to track flight cancellations that are not easily visible to the approver when booked outside of TravelND, and
o The use of consistent purchasing channels will enable the negotiation of even better flight discounts for future University travelers.
· There will be a few exceptions considered on a case by case basis.